People ask me all the time, “what do I bring when I go to a hostel”.
Honestly, a lot of it depends on you and what meets your needs. I will list some of the necessities I think are very important. Number one rule, pack light and don’t bring the kitchen sink. Do you really need 5 pairs of shoes?
- Pack Light
- You don’t need as much as you think you do.
- Always look and see what the facility offers
- Do they offer Linens
- Is there a free cancellation
- Do they offer free breakfast
- A security Locker is a must
- All female rooms?
- How far away is everything from your hostel
- Restaurants nearby
- Are there any tourist sites near you
- Is anything in walking distance
- Will they help you with tours and directions
- Will they arrange for pick up from the airport. Sometimes it’s cheaper
- Do they take credit cards or cash
- ATM nearby
Things to bring
- Toenail clippers
- Dirty clothes bag
- A strong lock
- A quick drying towel
- A neck pillow
- A backpacking mattress(optional for crappy mattresses)
- A mask for on the plane (the sneezing coughing people)
- A rain poncho for your backpack
- A charging converter (120V in US and 220V certain countries
- Cheap flippers for the shower
- Bring a pair of long pants and a light jacket. It can get cold in the rooms at night. (even if you’re going to a warm climate)
- Ear plugs and an eye mask
- Space saver travel bags
- Sunscreen and ChapStick
Most of all bring a good attitude. You have to take these places as is. They are generally cheap and they are not the Holiday Inn. If they are above your expectations sing Hallelujah.
Have any thoughts or ideas please feel free to comment.☺